The Clapp Memorial Library serves Belchertown and the surrounding area, offering connection, community, programs and services for all ages.
The Clapp Memorial Library is a welcoming and lively center for lifelong learning, personal enrichment and community interaction. The Clapp Memorial Library is dedicated to serving Belchertown as a vital cultural resource and community center, and is cognizant of its role in promoting the value of reading and self expression to local youth. The Library responds to community needs as they evolve over time and strives to connect its users to ideas, to technologies, to experiences, and to others in the community and the world at large.
Belchertown native, John Francis Clapp, left a generous bequest stipulating that a library be built in five years time in his hometown. On June 30, 1887 the Clapp Memorial Library building was dedicated. In an opening address, brother Dwight Clapp reminded his listeners to "do what little we can in our day to make life in this old hill town of New England richer and broader, higher and nobler, sweeter and purer, to generations which come after us". The Clapp honors and celebrates this generous tradition of philanthropy, that makes so much possible for so many.