We work to eliminate hunger and build a diverse community by offering a healthy, delicious cooked meal every Saturday.
The Stone Soup Café
The Stone Soup Café is a pay-what-you-can gourmet hot luncheon served by volunteers every Saturday afternoon in the All Souls Church in downtown Greenfield. It is the ONLY weekend community meal in Franklin County. Founded in Montague in April 2010, Stone Soup Café has grown dramatically since moving to Greenfield in January 2012.
In addition to serving its Saturday meal, Stone Soup Café has found ways to alert the community to the food security crisis in our area. We hosted a community forum on Hunger in Franklin County and screened the documentary, A Place At The Table, to a packed house at the Garden Cinema. The Café has become a model for similar projects in New York City, Los Angeles, and Great Britain.
The Food Bank of Western Massachusetts reports that more than 135,000 men, women and children in the area - one in every eight residents - experience hunger now, an increase of 22 percent since 2006. Stone Soup Café has expanded its efforts to address this growing need by
- Serving more than 100 guests each week, a fourfold increase in the past two years
- Sourcing fresh and healthy foods from local venders like the Greenfield Community Farm managed by Just Roots, other area family farms; and local grocery stores
- Training interns and volunteers from Greenfield Community College, area middle schools and high schools, and the Kimball House re-entry program at the Franklin County House of Correction
- Hiring Ari Pliskin, co-founder of the Café, as Director of Development.
As we approach 2014, the Stone Soup Café needs your help to meet rising needs. Together we can
- Improve our kitchen and serving space to accommodate more guests each week
- Purchase reusable cups, plates and flatware, and compostable items to reduce waste
- Explore partnering with All Souls Church to add a late afternoon Café meal on Sundays
Please Join Us
The Stone Soup Café has grown in size and quality and has proven to Greenfield and Franklin County that we are committed to continue to respond to the needs of our low-income neighbors. Our emphasis on building relationships in a setting that is personal and gracious has attracted frequent publicity and comment in town. More than fifty local businesses contributed to a recent fundraiser to meet our expenses.
Please donate now for Valley Gives Day. Join us for a delicious meal some Saturday during the holidays! Enjoy being a part of our warm and welcoming community. Consider joining our energetic team of volunteers, and tell your family and friends about what the Café is doing.
Join the Conversation
for this Cause
Anyone can set up a fundraiser for this charity. It's quick. It's easy.
And it's free!