We work to eliminate hunger and build a diverse community by offering a healthy, delicious cooked meal every Saturday.
The Stone Soup Café
The Stone Soup Café is a pay-what-you-can gourmet hot luncheon served by volunteers every Saturday afternoon in the All Souls Church in downtown Greenfield. It is the ONLY weekend community meal in Franklin County.
The Stone Soup Café attracts people from all walks of life and its circumstances who cook, serve, and clean-up the meal together - and most importantly - enjoy the meal together and each other's fellowship. Through the practice of Council, the Stone Soup Café also offers a safe space for guests to share more deeply what is on their hearts and listen from the heart. In this way we are growing a beloved community of support and compassion for our guests.
In addition to serving its Saturday meal, Stone Soup Café has found ways to alert the community to the food security crisis in our area. We solidified our partnerships with Northfield Mount Hermon School, Greenfield Community College, Greenfield High School, University of Massachusetts Amherst, Franklin County InterFaith Council, Unity Church, Just Roots, Franklin County House of Correction pre-release program, and Our House residential care for adolescents.
Hunger rates in Western Massachusetts are six times higher than the statewide average. The Food Bank of Western Massachusetts reports that in 2013 it served 43,294 people per month in the four counties. The Stone Soup Café has expanded its efforts to address this growing need by:
- Serving more than 100 guests each week
- Sourcing fresh and healthy foods from local venders, such as the Greenfield Community Farm managed by Just Roots, other area family farms; and local grocery stores
- Increasing our pool of volunteers and shift leaders
- Hosting a Volunteer and Donor Appreciation Night
- Hosting local musicians to play live music to enhance the dining atmosphere
- Training interns and volunteers from local schools, colleges, and churches
- Creating celebratory fundraising events, such as a sixtieth birthday party and catering a wedding, drawing new interest among a wider source of people to the Café
As we approach 2015, the Stone Soup Café needs your help to meet rising needs. Our goal is to raise $10,000 together so that we can:
- Improve our kitchen and serving space to accommodate more guests each week
- Replace our dining room tables and chairs
- Help make the meal handicap accessible so that no one feels excluded
- Fund part-time staff positions
Please Join Us
The Stone Soup Café has grown in size and quality and has proven to Greenfield and Franklin County that we are committed to continue to respond to the needs of our low-income neighbors. Our emphasis on building relationships in a setting that is personal and gracious has attracted frequent publicity and comment in town. More than fifty local businesses contributed to a recent fundraiser to meet our expenses.
Please donate now for Valley Gives Day. Join us for a delicious meal some Saturday during the holidays! Enjoy being a part of our warm and welcoming community. Consider joining our energetic team of volunteers, and tell your family and friends about what the Café is doing.
Join the Conversation
for this Cause
Anyone can set up a fundraiser for this charity. It's quick. It's easy.
And it's free!